Privacy & SecurityThe Mysearch toolbar does not actually pose any privacy or security risk nor does it deliver any pop up advertisements, and some top security companies do not include it in the database (Ad-aware and Webroots Spysweeper are examples).
Kill MySearch toolbar
It is one of several applications marketed by InterActiveCorp (IAC), owned by Barry Diller and based in California, USA. The company bought the Ask Jeeves search engine, in July 2005 for $1.85 billion, Ask Jeeves had previously acquired the MySearch range of programs.
It does however, take over your Internet Explorer homepage and arrives uninvited, usually bundled with other software including -
Grokster, Morpheus, WeatherBug, software from mgshareware.com, FavoriteMan parasite, as well as Popswatter, SmileyCentral and My Mail Stamp from Fun Web Products, also owned by IAC.
Removal can appear impossible as each time you try to reset your homepage, it comes right back on the next reboot.
The MySearch tool bar also operates under the following names -
My Search bar MyWay Mywebsearch
1) Open your computers control panel. (Click Start then Control panel, or the Start > Settings > Control panel, depending on which version of Windows you have).
2) Double click on Add/remove programs.
3) Look for any of the following, and uninstall by clicking on the Change/remove button.
'My Search Bar'
'MyWay Speed Bar'
'My Web Search Bar'
'Fun Web Products Easy Installer'
Close the Add/remove programs box.
4) Back in Control panel, Double click on Internet options to open the internet properties box
5) On the Programs tab, click the reset web settings button. Click Apply.
6) Still in the internet properties box, Reset your Homepage. Click the General tab, type in the address for the page you wish to use, or display the page in your browser and click the Use Current button.
Click Apply then OK.
7) Close the internet properties and Control panel
8) Use a registry cleaner to remove left overs.
CCleaner is a freebie.
Ace Utilities is a powerful application to clean out all unused and obsolete files and registry keys, a free trial is available.
Cautionary note : This collection of cleaning tool includes Remove Duplicate files, Remove Empty folders and Auto-Start manager. these options should not be attempted unless you are fully able to understand and investigate the output. Acting on a misinterpretation of the results could result in damage to your System.
9) Delete any items added to your favourites list. (right click and select Delete)
All traces of MySearch will now be removed.
This information is provided free of charge/subscription/registration and without warranty. All the usual disclaimer jargon applies.
However, if this page has helped resolve your problems without having the expense of taking your PC to a repair shop or the hassle of reformatting, you may like to support our efforts with a small donation towards the maintenance ,further development of this site and the research to create more pages like this for future malware, even £1, $1, €1 can help make sure we are still here should you ever need us again.
Privacy & Security
hackers, crackers & firewalls
BHO's & Hijackers
Drive by downloads
Scams & Hoaxes
Free pest scan
Clean up/repair after malware infection
Prevent malware installing
Start in Safe mode
Show hidden files/folders
enable/disable Active X controls
Disable Messenger service pop-ups
Use the Host file
Removal tool for Rogue spyware removers & Fake Warnings
Kill Sdbot-ADD / lockx.exe
Kill seeve.exe / mediamotors pop ups
New Winfixer infection displays fake Blackworm warning
The real cost of Free security software